Saturday, August 19, 2006

Dreams

I usually remember my dreams, at least for a day. When I wake up in the morning, if asked I could sketch out what wafted through my mind while sleeping the night before. If asked the next day, unless especially vivid or frightening, the ideas would have faded away like mist before the sun. Except for two. These two dreams still remain in my mind in exquisite detail years, and for one, decades later.

I have every kind of dream, just like every other human on this Earth. I'll list a few.
- I'm somewhere in public missing certain key articles of clothing.
- rushing to accomplish something but keep bumbling the simplest of tasks.
- sexy dreams (we all have them)
- dreams about dead loved ones still being alive.
etc, etc, etc.

I can rough out the generalities because I have dreams along the same themes over and over.

The special two don't fall in these categories. The fact that I retain the amount of detail from these two is remarkable at least to me. And for the record, I don't claim to know what they "mean" if anything, just that they stand out in my mind years later.

The first I had when roughly the age of 12.
In the dream I possess 2 swords. One of pure silver and one of pure gold. I know that they are pure because the metal is soft, bendable, but somehow these swords are razor sharp and retain their shape. They are similar to a European long sword. The blades are a long triangle from tip to hilts. Each has a "T" shaped crossguard and a single-hand grip. Somehow in my dream I wield them one in each hand, silver on the right, gold on the left. An impossible feat for a sword of this length in reality. When not in use, they are carried in sheaths which crisscross my back.
I stand in a circular chamber. There is another person, a "guide", who tells me to prepare myself for battle. I somehow know that the cost of losing is worse than death. A door opens and I am surrounded, encircled buy hooded shadows. My adversaries are not men, they are truly "shadow" beings. Alone, I draw the swords and fight all nine. Each must be struck once by each blade for them to fade into nonexistence. In the end I am triumphant and my "guide" returns to say that I have passed the first test, but that others will follow and that I must remain vigilant and skilled in preparation. Every ten years I must expect to face the shadows or fall to evil. I leave the circular chamber with the "guide" saying, "Remember, every ten years a test, be prepared, be skilled, be vigilant!" The dream ends.

I awoke with a strange feeling, actually wondering where my swords were and that I needed to always remember that dream. So far, 25 years later, I have.

The second dream I had in 2002. My first TKD instructors, Bart & Chris Edge are with me in a evergreen forest. We are trying to reach a golden grassy meadow high up on a mountain plateau. For some reason I turn to them and say, "It's easy if you fly!" and change into a Dragon. I launch myself into flight and circle the forest clearing above them somehow communicating to them how to make the transformation also.
We soar up the mountain. I distinctly remember the feeling of using muscular, leathery wings to propel myself through the air. When we reach the golden grassy meadow, I want to continue to fly, to retain dragon form, but instead return to human. I try to remember how I became a dragon before, but cannot achieve the change. I mourn the sensation of being a dragon and express my sorrow to the Edges. Bart assures me, "You'll remember how when you truly need to be a dragon again." We walk across the meadow and the dream ends.

When I awoke from this dream, I was sad. I loved being a dragon. The freedom of flight. The power and the majesty of being that creature. I felt sorrow that I was only human and tried to hold onto the memory of "dragoness".

Like I said, I don't know what these dreams mean. I'm not claiming they are prophetic or symbolic. Only that I remember them in more vivid detail than any other dream and over some experiences in waking life.

I write them here because there is a part of me that is afraid that someday I will forget them, and I don't think I want that to happen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home