Wednesday, April 26, 2006

A Pet Peeve

I read a book once in which a pet peeve was actually a little creature that followed you around and got underfoot. That's not what this is about but the memory came when I wrote the title and I thought the idea was cute.

This peeve is about "gay marriage" and how some peoples political views are completely controlled by their religious views on this subject. Just to set the stage, I want to say that I am straight. 100%, married, kids, the whole 9 yards. But if their is one thing that will get me going it is inequality. I personally tend to lean to the right on most issues, I said most. Actually, when I take almost any political survey I am usually labeled as "Libertarian" but in our system your choices are limited. I'm more concerned with economic issues than I am about what other people are doing in the privacy of their own bedrooms.

I'm sick and tired of people bitching about how they are against gay marriage politically because it flys in the face of their religious beliefs. The last I heard the United States was a nation of Law not a Theocracy! I normally like Pres. Bush but on this one he really pissed me off. Just because his personal religious beliefs conflict with the idea of gay marriage, he was going to act using his political power to block any legislation granting gay people a legal right to marriage .

Marriage is a legal contract. That's why you don't have to be married in a church, you can if you want but it is not required. The one thing you do have to have is a Marriage License, and where do you obtain one of those, at the f**king county courthouse! A government office!

Suppose in my system of religious doctrine, God doesn't care about who your having sex with, maybe God only cares that 2 people love each other and want to commit to each other. Why should Pres. Bush's religious beliefs (and some whacked-out Catholics I know) have more pull politically than mine. According to the History I learned religious freedom was a reason why so many people left Europe to come to America 200 years ago. That's why there are still people coming here today from Afghanistan.

I know that the 1st amendment to the Constitution literally says,
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."
-but what about blocking laws that will just ensure that all Americans have equal rights when it comes to marriage? I don't think that the founding Fathers could have foreseen this question when they were drafting our Constitution but one speech by James Madison given on June 8, 1789 leads me to believe that the Founders did try to put rules in place to govern possible situations regarding religious freedom that they might not foresee.

Madison stated, "The civil rights of none shall be abridged on account of religious belief or worship, nor shall any national religion be established, nor shall the full and equal rights of conscience be in any manner, or on any pretext, infringed."

The majority of people who are opposed to gay marriage oppose it upon religious grounds! What makes their beliefs any better than someone else's? It's Bullshit!

I'll give you a case in point.

My husband works with a gay couple, 2 guys, they have been together for quite a few years and are both financially successful. These 2 gentlemen adopted 2 children who have serious medical issues to the point that the children were considered 'unadoptable'. They gave these children a loving home and good medical care. But here's the thing, because the guys cannot be 'legally married' they can only have medical coverage from one of the partners. The children have serious, serious medical issues. They require thousands of dollars in medical care a year. How many of the good 'Christians' who oppose gay marriage would be willing to do what they have done? There are some, but not many.

Here's another thing. If one if the above mentioned partners dies, the other, who would still be taking care of these 2 kids, still have all the associated medical bills, gets no pension benefits, because they're not Legally Married.

Did you notice I keep saying LEGALLY, married not religiously married.

It's a legal issue, and it seems to me it would solve more problems than it would cause. Why is it that any uneducated, ignorant, unproductive heterosexual couple in this nation can get married and start popping out kids for the rest of us to pay for, but good, decent, hard working gay people can't have the legal protections that marriage allows?

Like I said before, it's BULLSHIT!
And to you Holy Rollers out there who'll be offended by what I've said,
I ask you, Who made you God?
Who gave you the exclusive right to deal out Judgement?

The United States of America is a nation of LAW! Let's start acting like it. Otherwise, why don't we bring back the Spanish Inquistion and the Taliban to run our government.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home